Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Ironcraft is Calling for Spring!

This challenge was about spring and it took me a bit to figure out what that meant to me. At least in terms of what I could make that represented spring. Then this weekend I got a sunburn on my hands. The weather was nice enough to sit outside long enough to sunburn my skin. I have to admit though that I can sunburn on a cloudy day but hey, the sun had to be there for a little while.
The sun became my inspiration for this project. Going along with my new focus of quilting I opted for a painted quilt. Using an old cotton sheet, I painted the background yellow and then drew and painted a face like a sun. The ultimate goal is to free-motion quilt some other colors and textures into the cloth but for now, this challenge is met.
My lessons from this endeavor is that 1) I need way more practice at painting faces, getting the eyes to match a little more will only come with practice. 2) I love painting on fabric more than I ever did on paper. For me, the painting on fabric is only the beginning, as I'll quilt it and then make something like a bag or a journal cover with it. So here's to spring and the sun and may they stay and make themselves at home wherever you are!

2 comments:

  1. I think your face looks pretty darn good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kat! I enjoy painting faces like this. I'm sure I'll get a little better with more practice. lol Now, I think it'll change it a lot when I quilt it. Stay tuned!

      Delete