Those who tune in to my blog might remember that I have given myself a challenge of making a bowl a week for 2014. I have learned so much doing this. How the clay acts in shaped sheets? What will show on the underside and what will not. I'm slowly learning on how to build the bowls with fewer bakings to save on time.
I've also been fascinated, for a long time now, how I could incorporate fabrics into the clay. I've tried various techniques from baking sheets of clay right on the fabric to mimicking patterns and textures using fabrics as inspirations and tools. This winter some time I decided to try liquid clay and fabrics. This one is my favorite so far. I love the results! I've done a few bowls like this and this one is my first one. I loved the fabric. It was an old silk blouse that I washed and put in the dryer and now would not fit anyone. I used that for the outside of the bowl. The inside of the bowl is my daughter's old corduroy skirt. Both patterns lent themselves well to my purpose.
So, when the challenge came around to bowls, I was very excited to show this baby off. The PCAGOE challenge asks for 50% clay, at least, in the project. This has way more clay than fabric so I think I'm safe. I added a clay bottom and feet so it sits well. My Tiger Bowl is the first of many more and I welcome any questions about my process. Just one caveat for those who want to try it, get a lot of liquid clay!