Tuesday, August 27, 2013

I See UFOs!

Not the flying kind but the unfinished kind! Ironcraft's challenge for this bi-weekly marathon is UFO, un-finished objects. I have so many of those it was difficult to choose. I chose to finish my latest mermaid. I had made her for a doll making contest and did not finish her in time. I was disappointed in myself but hey! you keep going, right?
When I read the theme for this challenge I knew that out of all the UFOs I have, she was the one I would finish. Marianne, my latest mermaid doll, was conceived for the purpose of practising different techniques. I wanted to practise making hair and sculpting faces with thread. I also wanted practise in free-motion sewing and painting with thread.
Her tail, bra and neckpiece are made from a piece of fabric that I free-motioned using different color threads. I tried to make they wavelike, going for a look of scales. I used pure wool for the hair. Each strand was sewn on the knotted. I loved the rainbow colors on the ball of yarn when I bought it and thought it would make neat hair. I think it does! Sculpting faces with thread is another challenge I will have to practise before I'm very good at it. All in all, I'm pleased with Marianne, she turned out quite pretty and I am grateful to her for the skills lessons she has provided.
Making dolls is very humbling for me, I have so much to learn and am so thankful for the chances I get to learn.
So, once again, challenge met and I, for now at least, have one less UFO in my house.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it nice to get something off the "pile." I agree the rainbow yarn makes great hair, especially for a mermaid.

    ReplyDelete